18 - 19 June 2016
Florida International University’s inaugural Global Positioning Showcase (GPS) brings FIU to Berlin, Germany in June 2016. On this journey, we look forward to connecting with alumni, academic and research partners, governmental leaders and friends of the University. A still young institution at only 50 years, FIU is often under-recognized for its local and global impact generated by world-renowned faculty, talented students and dedicated staff. Hence, this initiative is a multi-departmental coordinated effort to look beyond our State borders and highlight our worldwide successes while reaching out to those who are part of this global landscape. At the same time it is an opportunity to explore new linkages and potential partnerships at the location abroad that are aligned with ourinstitutional vision and mission, our Worlds Ahead brand, and the BeyondPossible2020 strategic goals.
The expectation is that the GPS Tour will lead to new ideas, mutually-beneficial partnerships and novel programs that create educational and scholarly opportunities for our students, faculty and staff all over the world. The GPS Tour is spearheaded by the Global Affairs leadership team in the Office of the Provost.
GPS Tour Objectives
- Showcase FIU’s preeminent scholarship and global successes to the world stage to earn recognition as a top higher education institution;
- Enhance alumni engagement in the location and broader region;
- Explore new linkages, partnerships and programs;
- Identify new career opportunities, internships abroad etc. with partners/alumni abroad;
- Recruit international students for PhD, graduate and undergraduate programs, and the English Language Institute;
- Deepen ties with existing partners and develop new goals in support of our strategic goals;
- Showcase student talent and the impact of our students’ global engagement to alumni, partner or funding institutions, as well as potential students who are interested in FIU as their place of choice for higher education, discovery and knowledge generation, abroad.
Who Should Attend?
- Students who see studying and researching at FIU in Miami, a major research public research university with a diverse student body of 54,000, as a unique opportunity to learn and grow.
- Post-Docs whose research aligns with the work done by some our faculty experts and who want to speak to our faculty experts in person.
- Researchers who look to strengthen their own portfolio and increase their impact by collaborating with our faculty experts and want to discuss this in person.
- Institutional representatives who recognize FIU’s programs and unique location offer endless potential for their constituents to broaden their horizons through faculty/student exchanges, collaborations etc.
- Governmental organizations whose charges concur with FIU’s mission of being “committed to high-quality teaching, state-of-the-art research and creative activity, and collaborative engagement with our local and global communities.”